Gundruk ko Jhol | Nepali Recipe

Gundruk - fermented dried greens
Gundruk is a popular ingredient in Nepali cuisine and is made by dry fermenting green leafy vegetables, which are turnip leaves, cauliflower leaves and mustard leaves. Gundruk ko jhol or Gudruk stew is served both as an appetiser or a side dish. Its a great source of minerals when resource are limited in the mountains and it has a dark brown colour when cooked. 
Gundruk ko jhol

Well since I have Nepali neighbours, I was introduced to Gundruk early in life and savour this simple soupy dish, which can be prepared in no time. I also enjoy watching the process of Gundruk making when the leaves are sun dried during winter months. Personally, I enjoy Gundruk as a soup and there are so many variations of this dish however I am sharing my personal favourite recipe here with you guys today and hope you enjoy it just like I do.

INGREDIENTS:
1. Gundruk a handful 
2. Tomato 1 medium chopped into slices
3. Onions 1 small chopped into slices
4. Dried red chillies 2 to 3
5. Oil 1 teaspoon 
6. Turmeric powder 1/4th teaspoon
7. Salt to taste


Gundruk soup - A  traditional Nepali dish

PREPARATION:
1. Soak the Gundruk in water for 10 minutes then squeeze it, drain the water and keep aside.
Soaked Gundruk

2. Now heat oil in a pan, then stir fry the dried red chillies, onions and tomatoes - stir fry them on low flame until the tomatoes are half cooked.
3. Add your Gundruk, turmeric powder and salt to taste, stir it quickly for couple of minutes.

4. Add 1/2 liter of water - stir, cover and cook it for 10 to 15 minutes.

You can follow me on Instagram and watch all the latest recipes on my YouTube Channel, click on the link below
 

Post a Comment

0 Comments